Monday, June 10, 2013

DIY Dry Hair Shampoo!

Hello friends!

I'm sure it is safe to say that the dry hair shampoo trend has turned into a craze in the last few years.  I have seen countless articles on beauty websites and in tabloid magazines about the wonders of not having to get in the shower to have clean-looking hair.  Many of them comment on how it is great for hair health, and it is.  Washing your hair every day makes it dry and brittle, so having a working alternative to greasy hair will make your life easier and your hair healther.

Even though there are benefits to using dry shampoo, there is no way I will pay the prices for a bottle.  The general price range I have seen run from $10 to $30 for a bottle.  I am a budget freak - I hate buying full price ANYTHING, so there is absolutely no way I am paying that much.  Plus, a lot of dry shampoos have drying ingredients like alchohol, which make your hair brittle.  And if you are spraying the shampoo at the roots, that means you are making your hair breakable at the root.

That sounds like a bad hair day.

After a considerable amount of research - I consider myself a bit of a hair snob - I found an easy DIY dry shampoo for both light and dark hair.  And even better, the ingredients are cheap and non-drying!

Here's the recipes below:

For light hair:
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon baking soda.

No really, thats it.

Mix these two things together and you have dry shampoo.  If you want it to be perfumed, no problem.    Just put in a few drops of essential oils and mix.   The cornstarch will absorb the oil drops, but the smell will be left behind.  In my mix, I dropped two drops of peppermint and one of basil.  Its smells so fresh and heavenly.  Not to mention that peppermint essential oil is also great for stimulating hair growth!  The more you know.

However, if you do not have blonde hair like me, here's a recipe for dark hair:
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon baking soda
2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder

It is insane how easy this is.  I've used it and it works great, at least for my hair type.  I store my dry shampoo in a salt shaker, shake a little of it on to my roots, massage it in and style my hair.  Its great!

Happy hair days to all y'all!
-xx, Beccy





No comments:

Post a Comment